We celebrate National Women’s Health Week from May 12-18, which is a national effort by an alliance of government organizations to raise awareness about manageable steps women can take to improve their health. We encourage all women to make their health a priority by taking small steps now to improve their health long term. We share with you 7 Days of 7 Ways to get you on the right track for a long and healthy life.
Today, Day 3 is Diet.
Diet: Here we share tips on eating a healthy and balanced diet to maintain your good health.
- Create an eating plan consisting of foods from all the major food groups: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins such as meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc.) Fish, Soy products (tofu, veggie burgers, soy beverages, etc.), Eggs, Beans and nuts.
- Choose foods that are high in fiber. This will keep your body moving, giving you energy and helping to eliminate waste.
- Choose foods that are fat free or low in fat, especially milk and dairy products.
- Choose foods that are low in salt, cholesterol, saturated and trans fats, and added sugars.
- Add vitamins to your diet, including B vitamins and folic acid. Everyone needs folic acid in their diet, as it helps make new cells in the body.
- Drink plenty of water. Certain foods like raw fruits and vegetables can also provide the hydration you need. Sometimes, when you think you are hungry, it is just your body’s way of saying, “I’m thirsty. Water me.”
- Consider frozen or canned fruits and vegetables. This can make meal prep much quicker and easier.
- Try food variations. Instead of frying chicken, try baking it. Add ground turkey to your ground beef for a leaner lower fat option. Consider cutting down on bread, and adding vegetables in its place.
- Avoid empty calories from sugary drinks, and alcohol especially.
- Yes you can have your favorite treats! Just do so in moderation and infrequently.
- Taking care of your body and eating right will give it what it needs to take care of you, especially later in life.
Love your body and love your life!
- Posted by Altie Seigel
- On May 14, 2019